If someone says their favorite room is the bathroom, chances are it’s because of some special design element, like maybe they did the mosaic tile floor by hand themselves, or they had a custom vanity created.
My bathroom is nice, but I wouldn’t describe it as especially cool or unique in any way.
So, why is my bathroom my favorite room?
That question took a little thought. I’ve always loved bathrooms, starting with the 1970s marigold one with the double sinks and eight-foot long mirror that I grew up using in my parents’ suburban house. I would sit on the counter with my feet resting in the sink and read books and magazines, listening to the radio.
When Mike and I were house hunting two years ago, a must-have for both of us was separate bathrooms. We found this great house that allows us to have our own full bath — the one Mike uses is part of the master suite, and the one I use is in the upstairs hall. (We also have a powder room downstairs.)
I spend a lot of time here, at least an hour each day and even longer on weekends. Why?
- It’s a place where I can be alone. It’s a solo hangout spot — it’s pretty cozy, so there’s not enough room for anyone else, and who hangs out and socializes in the bathroom anyway? I really enjoy being alone, and if I want to listen to a podcast or write in my blog or eat lunch or read by myself, I can sit on the edge of the tub and do it there, whether I’m home alone or not. If someone knocks on the door, I can choose whether I want to open it or not. After all, being in the bathroom is a pretty good excuse for not coming to the door.
2. It’s a place I share with my puppy. My 15-year-old mutt Sassy loves the bathroom as much as I do, and she spends way more time in there than me, napping on the bath mat while I’m downstairs working all day. We make it work — I just have to step over and around her, although I do drop mascara and hairbrushes and other things on her all the time.
- 3. It’s a place that I can decorate however I want. I love pink and butterflies and pinup girls and woodland creatures, and I didn’t hold back when it came to decorating my bathroom. It’s like a pretty pink explosion and it makes me happy every time I walk in. I have two pieces of embroidery that I created, an owl stitched into a piece of magenta corduroy taken from a pair of pants I wore during college and a tea towel with some birds and cats on it. The most recent addition is a cart, where I store my makeup and other stuff.
4. It’s a place where I’m surrounded by beauty products. I’m not a makeup or beauty product hoarder — I do have a lot of lipsticks, and I enjoy trying new stuff, but I tend to hold onto my holy grail products and use them until they get discontinued. I’m insecure, so it makes me feel better knowing that a variety of products are literally at my fingertips whenever I’m in the bathroom. It also has great lighting — there’s a window plus a nice big mirror and decent lights. Great lighting is important.
5. It’s a place that welcomes routine. I’m really routine-oriented. I love the predictability of a good, solid routine; I find it comforting. And what other place allows for that than the bathroom? When I wake up, I go through certain steps in a certain order, and I have a different routine before bed. There’s nothing foreign about it, unlike the living room, which has four or five remote controls for various electronics and appliances and a whole bank of light switches that I still haven’t mastered. I know what I’m doing in the bathroom.
A few weeks ago I added a tagline to my blog: “Just something to read while you pee.” In fact, I have optimized my blog to make the bathroom the best place to enjoy it. Just so you know. 🙂
Do you have a favorite room? If so, what is it and why?