12 Comments

1. James said:

Well, right after I read your comment about swelling I began to think you were right about infection so I pushed on the swelling and puss poured out of the holes, gross I know. I was so sick, couldn’t walk right or even think clearly. I went to the emergency room immediately and my blood pressure was sky high and I was pouring off sweat although my temp was normal. The doctor took one look at it and knew it was a severe infection. I was given iv antibiotics and had blood work done. I was released about 4 hours later, I got a new prescription for antibiotics, so right now I’m taking two of them twice a day. It’s been two days and I can finally move my hand and the pain is slowly going away. I definitely learned my lesson though, never wait to take a medication when you’re dealing with a bite. Literally less than 24 til I took the meds but it was too late, the infection was already started. I’m glad I ran across your post and you replied so quickly. If you wouldn’t have I probably would waited a few more days before going in. Thank you for wisdom haha, even if it was learned the hard way.

July 6, 2016
    • said:

Ahhh I was wondering how you were doing! I’m glad you went back and got it taken care of before it got worse. Thanks so much for the update! I hope it heals quickly and you never have to experience anything like this again. Glad I was able to help.

July 6, 2016
  2. James said:

I was googling dog bites and pain and came across your post. I was bitten by my dog yesterday , chow/mix. Two deep holes in the top of my hand and smaller ones around the wrist. I’m in the worst pain I’ve ever felt. I got stitches and a tetanus shot and was sent home with antibiotics. My hand is so swollen today and hurts more than it did yesterday. The tetanus shot is giving me side effects, I’m extremely sick and my anxiety is racing. I haven’t taken the antibiotics yet cause I’m anxious about the side effects of it. My hand isn’t oozing but the pain is so bad, literally feels like my hand was crushed. I’m not sure what to do, go back to the hospital or wait a day to see if it gets better.

July 4, 2016
    • said:

Oh man! I’m so sorry his happened to you. Unfortunately (as you know) I can relate, and I urge you to take the antibiotics as well as go back to the hospital. You mentioned it’s swelling — that could be a sign that an infection has set in, and that’s really bad. Any side effects you experience will be nothing compared to the pain of an infection. I had to be on IV antibiotics for more than two days followed by 10 days on oral antibiotics. Chances are it won’t get better on its own. Did you get an x-ray? If not, I’d do that because you might have broken bones in your hand. When I went to he ER that was the first thing they did so that broken bones could be ruled out. My experience taught me that dog bites are SERIOUS. Please go back! I’ll send you healing thoughts. Update me if you’re able!!

July 4, 2016
  3. Megan said:

Oh what a shitshow. Otter bit Amy once, similar spot, but she went into shock right away so I got her to the ER asap. Looks like that was a good call. So sorry you’re still suffering. Big hugs to you, Mike, and Sassy.

January 18, 2016
    • said:

Thanks, Megan! That must have been scary when it happened to Amy – I’m glad she was okay. Is it bad to say it’s something of comfort to know Sassy isn’t the only otherwise sweet pet who bites? 🙂

January 21, 2016
  4. Oh, what an ordeal, Jen! I’m thankful your girl was okay. I hate to hear of what you have gone through, and I wish you a speedy recovery!

January 17, 2016
  5. said:

Well, fuck! That’s just a bunch of bullshit 🙁 I’m so sorry this happened. I had no idea something like that could escalate so quickly. I hate people that think rules/laws aren’t made for them and they can ignore leashes. Soooo not okay. Waiting for part two… How is Sassy doing with all of this?

January 14, 2016
    • said:

Thank you <3 She barked in her sleep that night and she seems even more terrified of dogs than before, something I never thought was possible! I feel so bad for her.

January 15, 2016
  6. Holy crap, Jen! This has all been in the course of a week? I’m so sorry you are having to go through this – both on an OUCH level and an emotional OUCH level. Guilt, fear, pain, sadness – not a fun roller coaster combination for sure! (Chris Morris)

January 14, 2016